This entry is our analysis of a document considered particularly relevant to improving outcomes from drug or alcohol interventions in the UK. The original document was not published by Findings; click Title to order a copy. The summary conveys the findings and views expressed in the document.
Links to other documents. Hover over for notes. Click to highlight passage referred to. Unfold extra text
Copy title and link
| Comment/query |
Quality standard for drug use disorders.
National Institute for Health and Care Excellence
[UK] National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, 2012.
Unable to obtain a copy by clicking title? Try this alternative source.
Official UK quality standards on the treatment of adults for problems related to the use of illegal drugs, intended be used to plan and deliver services to provide the best possible care.
Summary This official UK quality standard covers the treatment of adults for problems related to the use of opioids, cannabis, stimulants or other drugs in all settings in which care is received. It describes aspirational, but achievable, markers of high-quality, cost-effective care which, when delivered collectively, should contribute to improving the effectiveness, safety and experience of care for people with drug use disorders. While not mandatory, quality standards can be used to plan and deliver services to provide the best possible care. This quality standard has been incorporated into the NICE pathway for drug misuse, a flow chart diagramming assessment and subsequent treatment options.
List of quality statements
• People who inject drugs have access to needle and syringe programmes in accordance with NICE
• People in drug treatment are offered a comprehensive assessment.
• Families and carers of people with drug use disorders are offered an assessment of their needs.
• People accessing drug treatment services are offered testing and referral for treatment for hepatitis B, hepatitis C and HIV and vaccination for hepatitis B.
• People in drug treatment are given information and advice about the following treatment options: harm-reduction, maintenance, detoxification and abstinence.
• People in drug treatment are offered appropriate psychosocial interventions by their keyworker.
• People in drug treatment are offered support to access services that promote recovery and reintegration including housing, education, employment, personal finance, healthcare and mutual aid.
• People in drug treatment are offered appropriate formal psychosocial interventions and/or psychological treatments.
• People who have achieved abstinence are offered continued treatment or support for at least six months.
• People in drug treatment are given information and advice on the NICE
eligibility criteria for residential rehabilitative treatment.
Last revised 25 November 2016. First uploaded 25 November 2016
Give us your feedback on the site (two-minute survey)
Open Effectiveness Bank home page
Add your name to the mailing list to be alerted to new studies and other site updates
Top 10 most closely related documents on this site. For more try a subject or free text search
DOCUMENT 2017 Drug misuse and dependence: UK guidelines on clinical management
DOCUMENT 2010 The Patel report: Reducing drug-related crime and rehabilitating offenders
REVIEW 2011 Alcohol-use disorders: diagnosis, assessment and management of harmful drinking and alcohol dependence
DOCUMENT 2014 Needle and syringe programmes
REVIEW 2017 An evidence review of the outcomes that can be expected of drug misuse treatment in England
DOCUMENT 2010 Commissioning for recovery. Drug treatment, reintegration and recovery in the community and prisons: a guide for drug partnerships
STUDY 2012 The forgotten carers: support for adult family members affected by a relative's drug problems
DOCUMENT 2007 Drug misuse in over 16s: psychosocial interventions
DOCUMENT 2013 Delivering recovery. Independent expert review of opioid replacement therapies in Scotland
DOCUMENT 2016 Coexisting severe mental illness and substance misuse: community health and social care services